Cloaked Quarrel (Icons version)
Gene D.'s mystical bowman for Jason E.R.'s "Glassworks: the Devil's Den" scenario
Player Character: Kyle Martins/“The Cloaked Quarrel”
Role-player: Gene D.
- Date created: May 2012 (Boston area)
- Date revised: 26 March 2014
Origins: Trained (legacy crime fighter), Gimmick (mystical bows)
- Point total: 49
Abilities (24 points)
- Prowess 4 (hand-to-hand combat)
- Coordination 5 (range)
- Strength 3 (damage or weapon; injuries)
- Intellect 4
- Awareness 3
- Willpower 4
- Blast (offensive; costs 9) — mystical crossbow bolts 2
- Extras (+ 4): Burst 1 (volley), Secondary Effects — Binding 4, Stun 1 (vs. Str), Strike 1 (bolts, range 3, damage 3-4)
- Limit (- 1): Line of sight
- Device (1)
- Armor (defensive, 1) leather
- Gadgets (control) crossbow ammunition 1
- Extras (+ 1): Arsenal (Int test; can add devices if spend Determination/Fate point)
- Limit (- 1): One type (quarrels)
- Swinging (movement) — grapnel line 1
- To get: Ability Boost, Device (better armor), Super Senses (True Sight)?
Specialties (skills, 2d6-7; 8 pts.)
- Martial Arts: 2
- Criminology: 2
- Weapons: 3
- Occult: 1
Stamina (sum of Str, Will): 7
Determination (Fate points; 6 minus no. of powers; gave one to party pool): 4
- Style: Trick shots
- Identity: “The Cloaked Quarrel,” mystic bowman
- Code: To protect the innocent, regardless of the risk
- To get: Connections to other “Glassworks” vigilantes
- Enemies: “Devil Dolls,” “Palmetto,” the “Graveyard Shift,” etc.
- Motivation: To impress established superheroes
- Weakness: Item-based powers, can be lost or destroyed
- To get: Personal — struggling college student
History: In 1938, archaeologist Dirk Cullen, aided by the alluring Miss Ling and plucky Takeo, helped several families flee turmoil in China. Among the handful of items they took with them was the legendary Jade Bow , said to be a gift from the gods. The refugees and artifact arrived in Bay City, Oregon, where they stayed for several decades.
Sometime later, a gang stole the bow and brought it to Empire City in New York, where a rookie police officer found it. As “Toxaris the Sniper,” Robyn Fitzwalter fought crime and supervillains until her untimely demise at the hands of the Cremator.
The great bow, broken and forgotten, passed to Fitzwalter’s partner Jim Marx, who later moved to Hamilton, Delaware. Recently, Kyle Martins, a college student and fan of Toxaris’ exploits, obtained the relic’s remains and vowed to carry on Fitzwalter’s fight for justice.
After several months of study and experimentation, Martins has placed pieces of the Jade Bow and its silvery strings into two folding crossbows mounted on vambraces that fit under his voluminous opera cape. As “The Cloaked Quarrel,” this latter-day man of mystery has honed his body and mind and wields his mystical weapons in a never-ending struggle. He is exited to learn that he is not alone.
Kyle worked with other vigilantes on an arson investigation that ultimately uncovered unfinished business in a previous superhero team, kidnapping, mob wars, industrial espionage, and supernatural conspiracies.
Since then, he helped DarkStorm create a base of operations in an abandoned subway station, started dating Rain Tomotowa, and helped establish “the Eighth Legion.” Kyle still hopes to impress and join the ranks of established superheroes.
Personality: Kyle is optimistic and idealistic, but he is well aware of the dangers that a “normal” human faces against criminals, let alone supervillains. The Cloaked Quarrel wants to fulfill his destiny, preferably with other heroes, but he has had to work in solitude so far.
Abilities & Resources: Kyle appears to be a normal human male of average height and build for someone who regularly participates in moderate physical activity. The twenty-something college student has black spiky hair and a goatee and wears casual clothes.
Other than his mystical twin crossbows, Kyle has a range of exercise equipment, computer and communications gear, and textbooks in his modest apartment in a transitional neighborhood. The mystical weapons can fire bolts that carry an electrostatic charge that can entangle or stun.
The Cloaked Quarrel’s costume consists of a dark frock coat, customized leather bracers, a bandana, and polarized glasses/infrared, telescoping goggles. He still needs to get more climbing and stealth gear, as well as proper body armor. Thanks to DarkStorm, he also now has a red 2004 C6 Corvette and access to the base of operations.
UGO HeroMachine portrait: http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/122153/ClQrl1a.jpg(Cl qrl1a)
“The Eighth Legion,” Player Characters for Jason E.R.’s “Glassworks: the Devil’s Den” superhero scenario, using Icons (previously DarkPages and the Cortex: Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game), as of spring 2014:
- “Kyle Martins / The Cloaked Quarrel” [Gene D.]-male human college student and legacy crime fighter with mystical crossbows
- “Tim Gray/DarkStorm” [Bruce K.]-male metahuman, experimented upon by the government, amnesiac weapons designer for Oryx Industries, armored vigilante, and team leader at subway base
- “Rain Tomotowa/Thunderbird” [Sara F.]-female Native American, exiled demigod able to change into a giant eagle, onetime park ranger now working in a pet shop
- “Matthew Shanks / Merlin” [Josh C.]-male incubus sorcerer and occultist with an ancient family legacy
- “Samuel Adams Jackson/ The Stranger” [Beruk A.]-male human Buffalo Soldier released from Purgatory, time-displaced bounty hunter with dark force manipulation and shadowy steed Gabriel (from Gene’s Mutants & Masterminds: Drake’s Port" and Josh’s Dresden Files: “Dallas” scenarios)
- “Erwin Schrodinger/ Erwin72” [Brian W.]-male replican, law enforcer from an alternate timeline with the ability to tap alternate dimensions
- “Empty Spoon” [Rich C.G.]-male metahuman, Tibetan refugee with mystical air control (apologies to Avatar: the Last Airbender/Legend of Korra) and speed, seeking revenge for the destruction of his monastery
- “Adriana Novak/ Phantasm” [Brian S.]-female metahuman, former magician’s assistant turned permanently invisible; used the power of illusions to commit crimes but trying to turn over a new leaf
- “Kyle Martins/The Cloaked Quarrel” [Gene D.]-male human college student and legacy crime fighter with mystical crossbows
- “Eli Wasserman/the Amazing Mr. Fantastic” [Brian W.]-male metahuman with shadow manipulation, retired superhero and private investigator
- “Rain Tomotowa/Thunderbird” [Sara F.]-female Native American metahuman park ranger, able to change into an eagle
- “Matthew Shanks/Merlin” [Josh C.]-male incubus sorcerer and occultist with an ancient family legacy; member of Hamilton’s mystical Conclave
- “Tim Gray/DarkStorm” [Bruce K.]-male metahuman super soldier, experimented upon by the government, amnesiac weapons designer for Oryx Industries, and dark vigilante
- “Summer Winters/Santanica Pandemonium” [Rich C.G.]-female human nurse and mother/demon with flame powers, initially unaware of dual nature
- “Ezra Goldman/Daedalus” [Beruk A.]-male metahuman tinkerer with the ability to temporarily imbue machines with personalities and communicate with them